Why we have not opened. A Winter to remember

I snapped a few pictures to visually show the locals what is keeping us from opening. If you drive by on the roads the only snowy place you see is 8. There are a couple of others as well. As soon as they are no longer a hazard we will open up. Chris changed cups on greens this morning and clean up continues around the course. Temperatures have been in the 50's all day and the rain will help. Fingers crossed.
4 looking back towards tees
3 green right side is all ice
5 tee looking towards bathroom. still 12"deep in spots
4 back tee
8th hole

Murph adding more spaces in the bag storage room
Editor's note: I typed this post up Thursday evening and Friday morning we had received .5" of rain and this is the forecast:
Tonight: A chance of rain showers before midnight, then a chance of rain and snow showers between midnight and 1am, then a chance of snow showers after 1am. Cloudy, with a low around 33. North wind 7 to 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
Saturday: Snow showers likely before noon, then a chance of rain showers. Patchy fog between 2pm and 5pm. Otherwise, cloudy, with a high near 39. North wind 14 to 16 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
Saturday: Night A chance of snow showers, mainly before 5am. Patchy fog between 8pm and 9pm. Otherwise, cloudy, with a low around 26. North wind 8 to 11 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.
Seems we cannot buy a break!

Patience is a virtue

This has been a strange year to put it mildly. We have a few warm days but then some really cold ones and even snow. When I returned to the island Sunday afternoon and drove the roads what I could see looked clear. It then proceeded to snow and cover everything again. Most of that new snow was gone by Monday evening. We are so close to being able to open it is frightening. If you drive through the property it appears quite open except for the 8th tees and beginning fairway. Most of what you cannot see is clear as well. Half the 3rd fairway is still snow covered and the entire right side path and 4th tees are covered in snow and ice. I am not the legal counsel for the club but common sense tells me it is a hazardous condition and we should wait until it clears. They are predicting snow and rain tonight and tomorrow so hopefully the rain portion is enough to wash away the snow portion and maybe even a little of the remaining snow/ice we have left.
left was snow covered and protected -  Right open and wind blown
There was a good article on golf shoe spikes that I thought I would share: Cleat Chaos

I hope we can get you all out there in some fashion next week. I want to be out there cleaning the course and wrapping up the tree work we started and getting the season going as much as you. Trust me. And thank you for your patience.

Spring has sprung

We had some great temperatures this week with highs in the 40's and 50's. No laughing for all of you in much warmer climates. Compared to what we have had for the last 6 weeks it felt like summer. With the heatwave came lots of melting. I am happy to say all the ice is gone from the greens we removed the snow and the turf looks great. They are calling for rain tomorrow so who knows we MAY be able to open next weekend? My guess would be walkers only and possibly a few temporary greens. It all depends on the frost in the ground and how fast the snow melts but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Sand application worked over the weekend on Practice green


clearing 4 green. It was deep on the right side
Chris and I cleared the last bits of slush and ice
A bit of disease on 4 green
video
a glimpse of holes 4-6 from the 5th green
sunrise 9th hole from bedroom taken by Cheryl Crowther

video
view of practice green 9th and 1st holes on Thursday. A bit more melting happened today.